Xanadu Estate Chardonnay

Xanadu Estate Chardonnay 2017

Margaret River, Western Australia   |    750ml   |    13%

Margaret River's Xanadu is widely recognised as one of Australia's finest Chardonnay producers with a remarkably consistent recent record of delivery high quality examples. The 2017 Xanadu Estate Chardonnay is another elegantly structured yet complex release the medium bodied palate delivering plenty of zesty grapefruit, stonefruit and white pear flavours. Finishing with a creamy mouthfeel and a clean finish, this is another superb release from the team at Xanadu.

"95 Points. The fruit is whole-bunch pressed and wild-fermented in French oak (25% new), lees-stirred, mlf preveneted, matured for nine months. Elegantly composed and balanced, with white peach, pear and citrus flavours spread across a lengthy canvas. An each way bet, now or later. Xanadu at work again. 13% alc. RRP $39" - James Halliday, Halliday Wine Magazine, April / May 2019.

Availability: In stock

$29.90
Only available for purchase in 6 bottle increments.
John and Eithne Lagan arrived at Margaret River in 1968, first planting their vineyard in 1977. The Lagans planted the first vines in what is now one of the region’s oldest vineyards. Xanadu has a long history of producing wines of distinction and today stands as one of Margaret River's finest wineries.
6
Western Australia
Margaret River
750
13
GROWING CONDITIONS: The growing season began with late budburst after a relatively cold, wet Winter. The mild Spring which followed ensured that there were good flowering and fruit set, in fact, some yields needed to be addressed with crop thinning. Fine, mild conditions prevailed during summer, which ended up being one of the coolest growing seasons in recent years. Harvest commenced late, at the end of February, with abundant Marri blossom keeping bird pressure very low while the whites were harvested. March was relatively wet with a significant rain event after most of the white fruit had been picked. Fortunately, the April that followed was glorious (the driest April since 1982 in fact) with excellent weather and no heat extremes experienced at all. The extended ripening period allowed the reds to attain full physiological maturity and tannin ripeness with a wonderful sense of finesse. The 2017 Xanadu Chardonnay is predominantly Estate grown in the Wallcliffe sub-region, with 60% of the blend being made with fruit sourced from our Stevens Road and Lagan Estate vineyards. The remaining 40% was sourced from mature Karridale and Wilyabrup vineyards.

WINEMAKING NOTES: Made entirely from Gingin clone Chardonnay which was whole bunch pressed followed by 100% barrel fermentation in select French oak (25% new oak). Wild fermentation was encouraged on all of the components, in order to introduce more complexity and personality into the wine. All of the individual batches which make up the blend were lees stirred throughout a nine-month oak maturation period, without any malolactic fermentation. The final blend was put together in November 2017.

Write Your Own Review

Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register