Hentley Farm The Rogue Red Field Blend

Hentley Farm The Rogue Barossa Field Blend 2016

Barossa Valley, South Australia   |    750ml   |    14.5%
Since their first vintage in 2002, Hentley Farm has built a reputation as one of the Barossa Valley's leading wineries. Named James Halliday's Wine Companion 'Winery of the Year' in 2015, the quality of wines produced at Hentley Farm continues to reach impressive heights.

The 2016 Hentley Farm The Rogue Barossa Field Blend is made up of an interesting and diverse blend of locally grown Barossa varietals, with Grenache, Malbec, Mataro, Shiraz and Tempranillo, joined by tiny portions of Durif, Nero d'Avola and Zinfandel.

The result is a vibrant, textural wine with lively strawberry, raspberry and red cherry fruit flavours prominent. A beautifully soft and approachable rendition of Barossa red ideal for enjoying over the cooler months, this offers exceptional value drinking at this price. 

"94 Points. 46% grenache, 13% malbec, 9% each of mataro and shiraz, 7% tempranillo, 3% nero d'Avola and 2% zinfandel. Not a field blend (ie from a single vineyard), but that's irrelevant, the wine unified by 9 months maturation in used oak. It has a really attractive juicy freshness to both the bouquet and palate, and is intended for early consumption, and endless discussion by loyal followers of Hentley Farm. $24.00 14.5% alc. Drink By: 2026 Closure: Screwcap" - James Halliday, winecompanion.com.au.

"A light to medium red as you would expect given the high proportion of Grenache. The nose is generously fruited with raspberry and blueberry fruits enjoying sweet spices and a touch of bramble. Raspberry and blueberry. The profile of the wine builds nicely with a veneer of primary red and blue berry fruits gaining stature with drying but fine tannins and a decidedly earthen note. The finish has a floral lift of red cherry that keeps things light on its feet. Drinking well now and over the next year or two" - Patrick Eckel, winereviewer.com.au

Availability: In stock


Extremely limited, only 17 bottles in stock.

Set on the red-brown soils of the western Barossa Valley, Hentley Farm founders Keith and Alison Hentschke acquired the 150 acre vineyard and mixed farming property in the 1990s. Following extensive research to find out where the best red wine grapes in the Barossa Valley were being produced, their studies led them towards the rich red soils of the Seppeltsfield area. Keith used an old soil map from the 1950s to strategically locate the best parcels of land and after a number of years acquired Hentley Farm.

With a focus on perfecting the vineyards, the first wines weren’t released from the property until 2002. The estate was extended with the purchase of the neighbouring high quality Clos Otto block in 2004.
South Australia
Barossa Valley
Variety: 47% Grenache, 12% Malbec, 11% Mataro, 10% Shiraz, 9% Tempranillo, 7% Durif, 3% Nero d’Avola and 2% Zinfandel

Winemaking: 10% of the fruit was whole bunch fermented while the remaining 90% the fruit was destemmed prior to fermentation, during which 2-3 pump overs a day were used to ensure that each wine achieved a full tannin structure. 30% of this wine was left on skins for 50 days before being basket pressed. The remainder went through a standard 7-10 day fermentation. All components were basket pressed to old French barrels where they underwent natural malolactic fermentation. The wines were racked off lees and returned to oak to mature separately for the first 3 months before being blended and returned to oak, a total maturation period of 9 months.

Profile: On the nose satsuma plum, raspberry and blueberry aromas provide the light, cardamom seed and dried rosemary the shade. On the palate bright upfront acid and boot leather create a complex introduction, then red fruits and an attractive creamy texture take over. A soft, medium weighted wine with a level of complexity that you would expect from such a diverse range of varietals.

Vineyards: Sourced predominately from the Hentley farm estate and neighbouring north western Barossa vineyards. The top soil is predominately a red clay loam, and the subsoil varies from shattered limestone to salt & pepper siltstone and bluestone at depth. All vines are grown on their own roots.

Write Your Own Review

Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register